A strategic approach to home security is critically important to keeping your loved ones and your home safe. Investing in security cameras and a security system will go a long way towards increasing your home's security. In fact, that investment is the single most effective thing you can to keep your home and loved ones safe. Even if the system is not armed, when intruders spot an alarm, often it is deterrent enough to dissuade them from choosing your home.
• Install security cameras that are trained on the most vulnerable and likely spots an intruder would use to attempt to enter your home.
• Ensure that everyone in your home knows how to alarm and disarm your system. This will ensure that it remains armed more consistently. Your home security system should be armed even if there are people at home.
• Test your alarm system monthly to ensure that everything is fully operational.
• Be strategic about the placement of sensors. Choose entry points as well as near high risk areas, such as medicine cabinets, gun cabinets, your garage and home offices.
• Optimize your security system's options. Our systems offer email and text alerts when sensors or cameras are triggered in your home. Set up such alerts to help you avoid false alarms and so you know exactly what is going on at home.
How to Protect and Secure Your Home: Simple Tips
Beyond the strategic use of a home security system there are other useful ways to help keep your home more secure and safer.
• Install motion sensitive lighting around the perimeter of your home.
• Clear bushes, trees and vines from entrances to your home, especially if they are thick enough to provide a hiding place for burglars.
• Ensure that you have a working smoke detector outside every sleeping area and on every floor of your home.
• Put lights in your home on a timer, especially if you arrive home after dark. Light is a deterrent.
• Always lock the doors of your home, even if you are at home.
• When you travel, take precautions to make your home appear inhabited.
• Never share travel plans on social media, because you don't know who will have access to such information.
• Avoid hiding a key outside your home. If you can't avoid doing so, create a unique spot to hide it. Forget the predictable spots like under a rug or plant.
• Reinforce your doors with sturdy dead bolts.
• Make sure windows are secured so a burglar can't use them as an entry point.
Utilize these home security tips and make your home a safer place to live. While there is nothing that is foolproof when it comes to protecting your home from burglars, these tips will go a long way in helping to keep you safe.